Thursday, December 1, 2011

Abraham Lincoln: Hero or Tryant?

Ahhh Abraham Lincoln, everyone's favorite president! He's the president that disbanded slavery, who was an ethical politician, who had the interests of his fellow man in mind before his own! Or is this too another example of political propaganda? Abraham Lincoln in fact, was more of a tyrant than a hero. By analyzing the Emancipation Proclamation, one would see that Lincoln, in reality he didn't care if we had slaves or not, all he wanted was to keep the Southern states in the union, therefore keeping the country together as a whole. He needed the money from the Southern states to keep the government on its feet. He cared more about the prosperity of the union than the lives of the slaves in the south. Through political propaganda, people's opinions on people are forever changed. Next time you think Abraham Lincoln really cared about the emancipation of slaves in the south, consider this quotation: "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that." -Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

  1. I think a tryant can still be a hero, that depends on the things he accomplished. Often time, the truth is in the hand of the minority but they can do nothing. However, if the minority has a tryant leader, they actually can push the country faster and forward.

    ReplyDelete